Friday, May 8, 2009

Argentine Cooking Classes!!

Okay, so I know I said that we were ready to leave Buenos Aires, but that was said before I found out about Cooking with Teresita--a cooking class run by a spunky portena who teaches you the nitty-gritty of Argentine cookery right in her cozy home, and of course all the while serving you Argentine wine as well. I was emailing back and forth with her daughter about the course, and this is what she wrote to me about the classes:

My mother's cooking classes are for people who are interested in more than just learning a recipe; they are designed for those who would like to learn and shaer a day at an Argentine's home while learning how to prepare one of the most traditional dishes of Argentina.

Sounds pretty great, huh?! I took a peak at the website, and I saw that the next upcoming class is really the cream of the crop--it is the Empanadas class! The class will cover empanadas de carne (beef empanadas) and empanadas de humita (corn empanadas), and the scrumptious empanadas will be pared with the most appropriate wine (in this case, apparently, a Malbec). This class is held on Mondays, costs US $45 per person, which includes the wine and all the ingredients for the empanadas (which you get to devour once they are ready to come out of the oven). So I think that is a really fair price!! Think about the lessons you are getting--learning to cook empanadas like a portena! That is pretty priceless.

If you are interested, you should check out Teresita's website-- http://try2cook.com/cooking-lessons-in-Buenos-Aires.html. It's chock full of the cooking classes offered, pictures of the cook in her element, and raving testimonials, including this one:

Teresita's passion and knowledge for food makes this class a "Must Take" in Buenos Aires.

Well, that pretty much sells me. If I was still in Buenos Aires, I would be signing up for this class like it was my job!

And, as if you needed any more conviction, check out these pics of Teresita doing her thing:



No comments: